Friday, December 18, 2009

New Year Resolutions: Reflections from a Pastor's point of view



“Sorrow may endure for a night by Joy cometh in the morning….The stead fast love of the Lord never changes God’s mercy never comes to an end it is new every morning…. [in this life’s journey] We go from glory to glory…. ” There are many promises in Christian Scripture, promises that say each day is a new opportunity for growth and betterment; that tomorrow will be a better day; that God’s work in us is new and exciting, full of hope and possibility. Each day gives us a fresh start. New Years Day has traditionally been used by culture to signify a start anew, and to resolve to do better. So we set up New Year Resolutions—many which are overly optimistic—and set out once again to conquer our world! Many of us make grandiose resolutions which are just as grandiose in our failure.


Even when we fail to achieve those things which we proclaim in the spirit of the New Year, we still feel a fresh excitement and renewed hope. Yet, in for many “New Years Resolutions” have become a joke… (from: http://www.ahajokes.com/fp059.html)



RESOLUTION #1:



1999: I will read at least 20 good books a year.

2000: I will read at least 10 books a year.

2001: I will read 5 books a year.

2002: I will finish The Pelican Brief

2003: I will read some articles in the newspaper this year.

2004: I will read at least one article this year.

2005: I will try and finish the comics section this year.



RESOLUTION #2:



1999: I will get my weight down below 180.

2000: I will watch my calories until I get below 190.

2001: I will follow my new diet religiously until I get below 200.

2002: I will try to develop a realistic attitude about my weight.

2003: I will work out 5 days a week.

2004: I will work out 3 days a week.

2005: I will try to drive past a gym at least once a week.



Well, sound familiar? Too often, the above joke reflects the truth. Often, we set our resolutions too high and our hopes are too great, and when they fail we can suffer a bout of depression—as the Hebrew Scripture says “Hope deferred maketh the heart sick.” Thus, ones a year we set ourselves up to fail, and our resolutions become more and more feeble, our efforts less and less effective, and our expectation for success dies a bitter death. Eventually, we train ourselves out of hoping or evening trying. So, stop setting yourself up for failures that drags you down! The problem is not that we shouldn’t make resolutions; the problem is that too many times we have made our resolutions in the wrong order. The above joke showed that many go from “glory to gory,” one descending step at a time, but you CAN go from “glory to glory.” This year, when you make your New Year’s resolution, make it part of a process toward success, one that includes steps that are obtainable! Turn around the decline-into-pessimism and find the upward-accent-into-new hope. Rarely can we simply and immediately “change”; change usually comes over time from established patterns of behavior, so re-establish patterns of betterment. Don’t lose heart! Realize that it IS a new day, and you DO indeed have a new chance to change for the better! So, make a good and obtainable resolution, grasp a hold of that new hope and believe!

No comments: