Friday, April 23, 2010

The World in Which I Live

The following is copied from an article I wrote for my church. I wrote it in response to the struggles and attitudes I have seen over the past year or so, so many people wrestle with the hardships of life (we have about 20 people a year who die and a depressed economy, thus hardship is a reality of our present day).


My mom was what some would call an eternal optimist, life was always greener on her side of the fence. At times she would wrestle with the harsh reality the was her life and she would face the hardship as if it was a demon she could slay. Her faith in God was the sword by which she killed her demons and if she was defeated by the demon of hardship, it was just the devil persecuting her. In the midst of any life hardship (e.g., persecution), she knew all that needed to be done was to hang on and rest in Christ--who also was persecuted. In the morning, she would wake up, grab a hold of her sword of faith and fight another day. Later in her life her view of "reality" seemed "unrealistic," overly optimistic and we would say that she lived in a world of her own creating. She did not deal realistically with finances or other worldly realities. Oh, she wasn't crazy, she was happy. Her lack of care for the "things of this world" also meant that she didn't leave a penny for us kids when she left this world: for all of her treasures were found in the flesh and blood of her kids and those treasures that are found in heaven.

My dad is also an optimist, I think it is a "Farley" thing: the Farley's would said it is the Irish way. He doesn't believe he is wrestling with demons when things go wrong, but he does believe the "universe" will sort itself out when we hold fast to a positive attitude and work hard to figure things out. My dad is also the type of man you want beside you in the middle of a sad struggle, because somehow he will make you laugh, encourage you to take a life filled breath and somehow help you find hope for tomorrow. Both my mom and dad have taught me something very important--to live life, not just survive it.

You can define your world and your life by your attitude and approach. Your attitude might not change the reality that you are going through a hardship, but it can change the way in which you "live" through it. There are many reasons to be down and even pessimistic. But pessimism doesn't add a day to your life--in fact, pessimistic worry is more likely to cause your hair to fall out and your life expectancy to be shortened. I have seen the hardest reality of life--which is death. I have watched as some have gone through life kicking and screaming, bitter at the world and its emptiness. In their last years or days they were mad at everyone and everything. When they die it is with a great sorrow holding little joy. I have also watched others (such as my mom), whose days certainly held sorrows, but what was focused on in life was its love, laughter and joy. And when I look back on a life so lived by this philosophy, I see a life filled with incredible sorrows and struggles, but one that shines all the brighter through those struggles of life, for such a life overflows with love and joy, incredible experiences, and a richness of life I hope everyone can have.

So, though I will weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice, I will always remember that sorrow may endure for the night but joy comes in the morning. There are many things in life I can change, and I will work on those things with a positive attitude, just like my dad. There are things I cannot change, for those I will wake up thinking of my mom and grab my sword of faith, know that God and the Universe is "for" me and live my life to the fullest. Call me crazy, but I am happy.

No comments: